As you enter your young professional years, rent an apartment, and really settle into your identity, living with a roommate may sound like a nightmare. But for many young adults, sharing apartments can be a financially responsible option. Fortunately, with the right standards and preparation, you can find a roommate that fits perfectly into your lifestyle. The following are some ways that you can narrow down your options to that one ideal person.
The Roommate Search
Once you begin searching for a potential roommate, most likely online, it’s important to have certain standards in mind. By sticking to some key categories, you can narrow down your initial pool of options.
- Career And Schedule: For many young professionals, it may be best to choose a roommate that has a similar lifestyle as you do. When your roommate also needs to wake up to go to work, they will be more respectful of noise levels at night, for example. While this is not always the case, being at similar life phases is important.
- Personality: Are you more interested in living with a social butterfly or someone who is more quiet and reserved? Know this ahead of time, and look for these qualities in potential roommates. Apartment living can involve close quarters, so you want to enjoy their energy.
- Priorities: Ask whether a roommate is comfortable living with the standards of a luxury apartment. If you prioritize cleanliness, so should your roommate. The same goes for having pets, entertaining guests, and decorating the space. You want to be on the same page.
Meeting A Potential Roommate
You met a potential roommate online, and now you will be meeting up for a cup of coffee. Here are a few questions to ask before you decide to rent a luxury apartment together.
- What did you do today? Their answer to this question will give you an idea of how they spend your time. Decide if their day seems compatible with yours.
- What are you looking for in a roommate? This is their chance to voice their priorities. Do you seem like a good fit for them?
- What was your last living situation like? About 33% of renters move each year, so find out why they are moving. The answer to this question can be very telling, as people tend to be honest. Did they express any conflicts with their last roommate? Perhaps it was great and they have to leave for a different reason.
Sharing a luxury apartment with another person takes understanding and compromise. This is why it’s important to sift through roommate options before you sign a lease. By taking the time to find someone who fits your ideal roommate profile, you will make your move a more harmonious situation overall.